Tuesday 13 April 2010

Home hair colouring - finally chic?


Home hair colouring has long been snobbishly looked down on as the cheap and nasty DIY alternative to having hair professionally coloured. A reputation companies like Clairol and L’Oreal have been desperately trying to shake off with innovative new technologies and glossy ads. I’ve never actually coloured my hair, at home or in the salon (minus an ill-advised experiment with Sun-In aged 14, but let’s not get into that now...) so I’m afraid I can’t give a personal account of how good or bad they are, but I’m working at Cosmo at the moment and lovely Beauty Editor Kate Turner told me a very interesting story which I just had to share with you!

She’s recently been away in the Dominican Republic, shooting a model called Amy for the summer issues of Cosmo. Kate complimented her on her hair one day, and Amy told her it actually used to be really thin and limp, but has totally transformed since she started using Clairol’s Perfect 10. She first used it when she was cast to be the model on the front of the box and was so impressed with the results, she’s been using it ever since. She used to fork out over £150 on having her hair coloured in the salon, and says it's now in much better condition and a more natural colour, at less than a tenth of the price – just £6.99 every couple of months! Now if that’s not an endorsement for you, I don’t know what is.

I can’t post up a picture of her hair as they haven’t been published in the magazine yet, but I can tell you from what I’ve seen that it looks really thick, glossy and healthy, and is a really gorgeous shade of light ashy blonde.

Kate was so impressed with Amy’s hair that she’s now trying Clairol Perfect 10 herself – having never home-coloured her hair before! I think that proves how staggered she was.

If anyone has any experience of home hair colouring – successful or otherwise – let me know!

Clairol Perfect 10, £6.99, available nationwide now.

3 comments:

  1. ooh, that's good to know! I saw a demo of this colourant and it did seem pretty impressive - be interested to hear how Kate gets on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used this product recently and I found it is very good too. I am not that experienced in DIY, though I have already do my own hair at home for 7 years and dye it almost every 3 months.
    The formula itself is not harsh on hair as my hair is still nice and soft after I dye it and the whole process is only 10 mins long which is much shorter than other brands, as normally it should take around 20-30mins.
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an interesting anecdote. I've always been too afraid to use home hair colourants but now... well, book me a cab headed for Boots so that I can buy some!

    ReplyDelete